The Tremont Theatre, located on Tremont Street in Boston, Massachusetts, was designed by Isaiah Rogers (1800-1869) in the Greek Revival style. Financed by a group of wealthy residents, it opened on September 24, 1827 and was the second playhouse in the city after the Federal Street Theatre. Among the people who appeared at there were Charlotte Cushman and Charles Dickens; however, it was never very profitable and closed in 1843. The building was purchased in December 1843 by the Free Church Baptists and was renamed the Tremont Temple.
Items in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. The Boston Public Library does not hold copyright on the material in this collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting the persons or organizations that hold copyright.
When reproducing material from this collection please include the credit line "Courtesy of the Trustees of the Boston Public Library/ Rare Books."
Boston Theatre and Opera House (Washington Street) Collection, MS Th. 2
Boston Theatre (Federal Street) Records, MS Th. 1
National Theatre Collection, MS Th. 11
Preferred Citation: Tremont Theatre Collection, MS Th. 4. Rare Books and Manuscripts Department, Boston Public Library.